Living Life Thankful

Living Life Thankful
Thankful

Tuesday 11 December 2012

Somebody That I Used to Know

The oddest thing happened yesterday. I was sat on a train with my nephew, heading home after a day out when lo and behold; who should get on the train but my ex-husband. He came and sat nearby and the three of us chatted quite amicably. I was completely bemused by the thought that kept running through my mind. He truly has become 'Somebody that I used to know.' This man who had been the cause of my happiness for many years and the cause of my pain in recent years was right in front of me and I didn't feel anything. Of course, he will always be special because he is the father of my four amazing children but apart from that, I realised that I am totally ready to put these chapters of my life behind me and move on. 

I would challenge all of us to examine our relationships. Are we with someone who values us and loves us with all their soul; not just in words but they show by their actions that we mean everything to them? I know how hard it is to 'step out' from a difficult relationship. It is hard to go it alone. Please don't think I'm saying to 'jack in' a perfectly sound relationship as all partnerships take effort and dedication to work successfully. We must know our own worth though. Whoever it is that we feel we can't live without, is not worth being with if they treat us badly, abuse us or lead us to question our own sanity. We were fine before they came into our lives and I promise you that it is possible to live and to live happily once again without them. I'm not going to delude you and say it will be easy because it's not and you can expect plenty of tears and dark days. However, it is possible to grow stronger through it all. Hang on to friends, family and those you trust for support, read positive literature and posts, if necessary join a support group that deals with your needs/issues and have faith in a power higher than yourself to lead you through it all. My higher power is God.

 Let's not settle for less than we deserve. Here's a quote by Maureen Dowd, American columnist and Pulitzer prize winner, "The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for."

5 comments:

  1. It was the biggest decision of my life to leave my husband..and father of my 3 children. I am now very happily married and l cant believe how i live now compared to 10 years ago. I still however struggle to not be angry or bitter towards my ex and i dont thinki will ever think of him as just someone i used to know. I think that I would be happy never to hear from or see him again? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sammi, thanks for your thoughts. I'm so happy for you with the way your life has turned around. :) I hope I didn't sound too flippant in my post but I do like to keep them short-ish. I have had days when I feel bitter and angry and I'm sure there will be days when these feelings resurface but overall I am starting to come to terms with that part of my life being over and I'm very thankful that I am learning to 'let go.' The gift of detachment is a true blessing and I thank God for it. It's perfectly natural for you not to want to hear from or see someone who has hurt you. I am finding that life is much simpler and peaceful for myself when I accept 'the apology that I never got'. It allows me the gift of moving on. <3 Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely like a bereavement. Thanks Kristine for your thoughts. Such a positive way to look at it. That is my wish; that we just be good parents for our children. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never thought of detachment as a gift from God to help us heal. After I read your reply I realize that it can be a gift for those times when we've been so hurt that we need to step away. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly believe that it is a gift. Thanks Kimberly for your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete