Living Life Thankful

Living Life Thankful
Thankful

Monday 11 June 2012

Tears


There are times in our lives when life brings a lump to our throats for lots of different reasons.  Sometimes we can go days, weeks, months without this happening.  At other times, we struggle to go moments without our breath catching as waves of emotion flow through us.  In the words of Jude Law in the film, The Holiday, I am a major weeper.  I can cry at the drop of a hat...just ask my teenage daughter.  I don’t think we’ve made it through one episode of ‘One Born Every Minute’ when I haven’t welled up.  All she does is shake her head and say ‘Oh dear, Mother!’
I’m going to share a few of my recent near and actual ‘water work’ moments with you.   

On a trip to the park with my three younger children, my eleven year old said something which brought a lump to my throat.  As we walked toward the playground, we saw a family of four; Dad, Mum and two children laughing and playing a ball game together.  He said, “Compare their family with ours.” What could I do other than put my hand on his shoulder and say, “I understand.”  He didn’t mean that we never have fun anymore because we do but he misses the completeness of our family as it used to be before his Dad and I separated. 

One of my dear childhood friends was recently diagnosed with stage three, breast, cancer.  Tears welled in my eyes as I read of her struggle but also because of the hope and spirit she is exhibiting during her difficulties.  You know who you are and you’re one amazing woman! 

Another good friend of mine recently gave birth to a baby boy.  I shed a happy tear as I thought of how this little person was going to complete their family and give them renewed purpose.  I wonder if the little guy will realize how fortunate he is to have been born into such a special family!   

Reflecting back over the last ten days, I can honestly say that I have felt a sense of pride; all because I am British.  Witnessing the pomp and ceremony that accompanied the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations was truly an emotional experience.  Yes, we have our problems as a country but it was inspirational to see many people coming together to congratulate the Queen on her sixty year reign.  A tender moment was when Prince Charles addressed her as HRH and then Mummy, at the Jubilee concert.  Hearing ‘Land of Hope and Glory’ as the fireworks blazed over Buckingham Palace filled me with national pride.

Music has always been really important to me and I was touched as I watched the programme, 'On Her Majesty's Service' which showed Gary Barlow travelling around the commonwealth in search of musical talent to include in the Queen’s Jubilee song, which he and Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber had been commissioned to write.  It really did show that no matter where in the world we are from, music is a universal medium for expressing ourselves and brings incredible joy to the soul.   I get a lump in my throat each time I listen to the finished piece, Sing; particularly as the little girl from Kenya opens and closes the song. 

While we are on the subject of music, I must also add that I had a slight catch in my throat as I attended Westlife’s farewell concert.  They really put on a great show and who can fail to be soppily inspired by 'Flying Without Wings' or ‘You Raise Me Up?’ I feel slightly melancholy as I recall how they have been a part of my journey for the past fourteen years.  What on earth are the children going to get me for Mother’s Day or my birthday now that Westlife won’t have new albums coming out?! I can hear Miss Teenager exhaling in relief as I write this!

From time to time, I’m sure we all shed tears. Life has a way of providing us with moments of pride, sadness, despair, heartache and joy.  Our lives would not be as rich without these.  I’m thankful for all of them as without the tears of despondency; we may not appreciate the tears of happiness quite so much.  What's caused you to shed tears lately?

1 comment: