Living Life Thankful

Living Life Thankful
Thankful

Sunday 5 August 2012

On the brink




My kids are on the very brink of the most excited I've seen them in some time.  (By kids, I mean my 3, 8 and almost 12 year old.  Miss 16 1/2 year old will only be seen out in public with us on very rare occasions.) What is the reason for this anticipation?  We're going camping for five days.  In order for me to reach such heady heights of delirium, I would have to be checking into a luxury 5* exotic beach resort.  My boys anticipate the week of rough living and minimal showering as a true gift.  I, on the other hand, can already feel the grimy stickiness and lack of both cleanliness and sleep with palpable clarity.  Is it too late to say that I'm more into glamping?!

I have packed using the good mother's method; cover every eventuality.  Only problem being that I now require a home removal service to transport everything to and from the camp site!  If it turns Baltic, we are covered.  Alternatively, if there is a sudden heat wave, we are armed with sun protection lotion, hats, flip flops and swimmers.  If it rains, we'll manage as best we can.  There is enough food and bottled water packed to sustain ourselves and other campers for at least ten days should by some freak of nature, we be cut off from civilisation.  I finally got around to purchasing a proper first-aid kit.  I was thrilled when the cashier had to glance at me twice to confirm that I looked over the age of 25.  Apparently the kit contains a hypodermic needle and there is a minimum purchase age requirement.  Don't ask me what on earth I'll do with it.  I hope and pray that no serious incident arises which would require the use of a syringe.  Perhaps I should just stick with the Band-aid plasters and Calpol?

So I look forward to my last night of sleep in a proper bed before departing on our excursion.  I shall go armed with a spirited, Olympic GB attitude and forget that I am a  city loving, suburban woman for five days.  I shall do my best to not only take part in the 'penta-campthon' but to come out winning and victorious.  Perhaps I should take a few minutes to download some inspirational music onto my phone for those moments when I know I'm going to need a little oomph; Eye of the Tiger or I will Survive spring to mind!  Now excuse me while I go finish packing my dry shampoo, wet wipes and Febreeze!

1 comment:

  1. 'glamping' & 'dry shampoo'
    top stuff! - at least you are unlikely to run into anyone you know! :D

    ReplyDelete