Living Life Thankful

Living Life Thankful
Thankful

Monday 4 February 2013

Widgets, Lunges and a Manhunt


I've made a decision...I'm going to stop being so hard on myself. I will congratulate myself for the little everyday tasks that I accomplish instead of beating myself over the head with the long list of things that I am not starting, finishing or those areas that I am downright failing in.

So with this in mind, I filled my car windscreen washer thingy with fluid this week. I praised myself for remembering where the latch was to pop the bonnet (hood for US speakers). Afterwards, I dropped that sucker down; with as much conviction as a mechanic who had just completed a complete engine overhaul. I am now determined to progress to proficiency in oil changing.

As I hit the enter button on the keyboard after installing the 'subscribe by e-mail' widget to my blog site, I felt a flush of pride that I knew that widgets were more than the little plastic wotzits in cans of Guinness. My techno-know-how is expanding and I surely deserve some kind of cyber gold star for that. No need for me to call Microsoft, they'll be calling me.

After completing my morning run, (FYI there is no chance on earth that I will ever download one of those apps that posts distance/times directly to facebook.) I did a set of extra lunges and squats to the strains of 'Eye of the Tiger.' Then I bounced into the house, punching the air Rocky Balboa style as though I'd just completed a gruelling training session and climbed the steps in Philadelphia. Oh yeah!

I am also going to add protector guardian to my recent accomplishments after 6 children remained safe and sound in my care this past Saturday night, following a police manhunt in our area. Despite the officers searching every doghouse, hen house and outhouse; the stereotypical villain (dressed all in black, crooked nose, dodgy eyes) was still at large in the neighbourhood. My 12 year old and his friend were convinced that the fugitive was skulking behind the bins beside our back gate. They kept vigil with a Nerf gun and cricket bat. I grabbed a small glass of Pinot Grigio and kept watch....ing a movie on TV.  No madman is going to disturb our Saturday night, not on my watch. I am a strong, single, independent woman, hear me roar!

See that wasn't so difficult was it? If I can find plenty of ways to congratulate myself, in my less than perfect life; then there's hope for everyone. Celebrate the small stuff people because it's the small stuff that fills up most of our lives.

3 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to windscreen washer story and the time when I was single! I almost cried of happiness when I learned where I actually put it :-) Everything else you do - I sometimes wonder how you manage Superwoman! I am singletasker so multitaskers are always Superpeople to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the realization as to not being hard on yourself. I know I've had to expand that not only to myself but everyone. Or I should rephrase I've made a decision to expand it to everyone but I still fall short consistently of that. I just wanted to comment because this is one are of life that has affected me considerable. That is being hard on myself and being even harder on others. One thing I've been learning that being more positive has who ever I am being hard on move toward me instead of away. I think our built in need to be acknowledge kicks in with the positive reinforcement and has us want to produce that which was being praised. Interesting... thanks for the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments Natasa and Rich! I just try to acknowledge that I am a human doing the best I can, with what I have, right where I am. :)

    ReplyDelete