Living Life Thankful

Living Life Thankful
Thankful

Monday 16 September 2013

8 Ways to Get Our Mojo Back



I don’t know where it’s gone. One week it’s here, perfectly intact and then all of a sudden, poof! It’s disappeared. What have I mislaid this time I hear you ask? Well, it’s my mojo. It has gone AWOL.

Maybe it’s to do with the nights drawing in, as winter looms. Perhaps it’s the autumn nip in the air, letting us know that summer is well and truly over. All that’s left of the highly anticipated summer of 2013 is a few shells that my four year old strategically places just where I will step on them, a few squashed ice lollies in the bottom of the freezer and a bucket full of sand that has worked its way into every nook, cranny and groove of my car.

My post holiday blues, combined with exhaustion from parenting overload as a result of feeding, taxiing, refereeing, cleaning up after and entertaining my four kids twenty-four seven for six weeks has left me feeling rather flat. Not to mention the way in which my bank balance has been drained to dangerously low proportions. Emotionally, I feel that I have worked my way through the character traits of each of Christopher Robbins' woodland friends, from the bounciness of Tigger at the start of the holidays, to the relaxed demeanour of Pooh whilst sunning myself on the beaches of Northern France; only to end up like Eeyore, muttering to myself about things I can’t remember or find.

I don’t think it helps that I am starting to feel my age. As the saying goes, I miss being the age when I thought that by the age I am now, I’d have life figured out and have ‘it’ altogether. How naive I was. I am also in disbelief that friends who I graduated from High School with are now becoming grandparents! How can this be happening?! To top it off, my eyesight is deteriorating and I have had to get reading glasses. It is indeed a slippery slope once you teeter over the edge of 40.

Now, while this is my current thinking on my reality, I know that my feelings are just passing emotions that send my mind on a wild goose chase of what ifs,  what could have beens and if onlys.  I am assuming that I’m not the only one that feels this way sometimes. So,  what can we do to get out of this slump?  Here’s my list of ideas that will help us to get our mojo back.

1.    Spend time with friends. Little things they say can light the spark in us and get us up off our sorry butt so that we are motivated to start or finish projects, set and work towards achieving goals and generally help us to stop feeling sorry for ourselves.

2.    Listen to upbeat, happy music which puts a smile on our face and makes us want to dance around our kitchen, wooden spoon in hand and throw our hips about.

3.   Have a clear out; de-clutter drawers, closets, boxes, rooms. There’s nothing like it for mentally helping us to achieve the whole ‘out with the old, in with the new’ mentality. Creating space physically helps us to prepare mentally for new experiences and opportunities.

4.  Read positive literature and surround ourselves with positive thinking people; what goes in will come out. Simple but oh so very true. People who ‘can’t be doing with positive thinking, inspirational claptrap’, can be shown the door. (metaphorically if nothing else)

5.  Get out your diary and plan some fun things to do. There’s nothing like having a few meet ups with good friends, or loved ones planned to lift our spirits. It gives us something to look forward to.

6.  Spend time in prayer and start a gratitude journal. Listing everything that we are thankful for each day will certainly make us appreciate how blessed we are.

7.  Exercise; take up a new work- out routine, play tennis, swim or just go for a run or walk. Exercise helps to release endorphins, hormones which make us feel good.

8.  Make a conscious decision to get out of the funk we are in, be happy and just get on with things.

       Happy September all! Now I shall attempt to take my own advice. Watch this space, mojo loading.

*Disclaimer: If you may be suffering from depression, please seek medical advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment